our team is filled with talented disruptors who believe that anything is e.l.f.ing possible.
At e.l.f. Beauty, Inc. (“e.l.f.” or the “Company”), our talented teammates are at the core of our business strategy. Our shared value system connects us and fuels our actions. Our ongoing success can be attributed to our values of delighting consumers, doing the right thing, working together to win, and executing with speed and quality.
We celebrate the unique beauty, voice and value of every eye, lip and face. We believe that a positive and inclusive work environment is critical for both the personal and professional development of our employees. We are committed to creating a culture internally—and in the world around us—where all individuals are encouraged to express their truest selves and empowered to succeed, and where we do the right thing for people, the planet and our furry friends.
We believe that these values and principles apply to everyone — whether full-time employees, part-time employees, or collaborators hired through third party entities and partners. The following are our principles and guidelines regarding human capital development and training. These principles and guidelines were approved by the Board of Directors and senior management of the Company.
our benefits & perks.
e.l.f. Beauty’s benefits are designed to support the total well-being and promote the full potential of our employees.
At e.l.f. Beauty, our U.S. employees receive1:
- “One-Team” Compensation Philosophy: We take a “one-team” approach to compensation. Every employee receives a base salary, is bonus eligible under the same bonus plan tied to the financial performance of the Company, and receives equity in e.l.f. Beauty (NYSE: ELF). We believe this approach – which applies across all employee levels and geographies – is unique in the beauty industry and contributes to our success in hiring and retaining top talent and driving business results.
- 401(k) Plan: All of our employees are immediately eligible to participate in our 401(k) plan upon joining. We match 50% of our employees’ salary deferrals, up to the first 4% of eligible compensation. Both our employees’ contributions and e.l.f.’s matching contributions vest immediately.
- Commuter Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): We offer the ability to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket transit and parking expenses through biweekly payroll deductions.
- Medical and Pharmacy Benefits: We offer three national medical plans. All plans provide 100% coverage for in-network, preventive care. All plans include prescription drug coverage.
- Dental Benefits: We offer three national dental plans. Employees can go to any dentist they choose. (In-network providers are generally lower in cost.)
- Vision Benefits: We offer one national vision plan. Our vision benefit is 100% paid by e.l.f.
- Medical Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): We offer the ability to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket healthcare expenses through biweekly payroll deductions.
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance: We provide basic life insurance and basic AD&D at no cost to our employees.
- Disability Insurance: We provide short-term disability (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) insurance that replaces a portion of our employees’ income for those unable to work.
Family Support and Flexibility
- Maternity and Paternity Leave Program: We offer up to 20 weeks of parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child as well as the placement of a foster child.
- Pawternity Leave: Any employee who adopts a shelter animal is allowed paid time off so that they can tend to the new pet in their lives.
- Fertility and Adoption Support: We offer up to $5,000 in reimbursement for eligible fertility and/or adoption related expenses. We pay 100% of our fertility and adoption support.
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA): We offer the ability to set aside pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket dependent care expenses through biweekly payroll deductions.
Wellness and Time Off Programs
- Wellness Coach: We offer free access to a digital wellness platform that provides coaching and tools for mental wellbeing, physical wellbeing, social wellbeing and financial wellbeing.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Our EAP program provides a wide range of supportive resources, including 24-hour support from counselors and trained clinicians who can help our employees manage personal, family, legal, financial and work issues.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) StigmaFree Company Pledge: We are proud to have joined with other companies in the beauty industry in pledging to be a NAMI StigmaFree Company, an initiative that encourages Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) or business practices that take responsibility for a company’s impact on social well-being. NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to building better lives for the millions of Americans affected by mental illness.
- Paid Time Off: We offer paid time off, based on years of service, to be used for any purpose our employees choose (vacation, personal days, holidays, sick time, religious holidays or other personal reasons).
- Holidays: We observe 10 holidays each year, and offer 2 additional floating holidays each year. Our offices close at 2:00pm local time on the business day preceding our observed holidays.
- Summer Fridays: Between Memorial Day and the Friday before Labor Day, our offices close on Fridays at 2:00pm local time. In light of the challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, we extended Summer Fridays through the end of the year in response to a suggestion from one of our employees.
Community Impact Programs
- Volunteer Time Off (VTO): We offer every employee a day off to do community service or volunteer for a cause that they believe in.
- Donation Matching Program: In 2020, we matched all employee donations for any qualifying non-profit 501c3 charity, up to $500 per employee.
Education and Career Development Programs
- High Performance Teamwork (HPT): High Performance Teamwork (HPT) is a key pillar of our culture. We seek to create a culture of passionate relationships, healthy conflict, and mutual accountability for our teams and employees. We offer our employees one-on-one coaching sessions and team workshops with an Executive Coach specializing in HPT. Past workshops have included an Overview of HPT, The Art of Feedback, and a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) Workshop.
- Unconscious Bias Training: We believe that to drive change there must be continuous education, learning and sharing. We require all employees to participate in Unconscious Bias training and hold training sessions quarterly so that we might learn how to recognize potential bias in our thoughts and actions.
- Mentorship Programs: We encourage employees to participate in mentorship programs. As part of our New Hire Buddy System, we match up each new hire with an employee to give new hires the opportunity to meet with someone across departments and support them feeling as much a part of our e.l.f. community as possible.
- Internship Programs: We encourage internships throughout our organization. We believe interns are integral members of the e.l.f. Beauty family and fully integrate our interns into our business through spotlights at Company-wide Town Halls and on social media. We recently partnered with Girls, Inc., a non-profit organization equipping girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and grow up healthy, educated, and independent, and had six Girls Inc. alumnae, who come from diverse backgrounds, join our team as interns.
- Leadership Team Meetings: We hold bi-weekly meetings for our leaders across the organization. These meetings offer our leaders the opportunity to present to their peers and to learn about various aspects of the business. Previous topics have included “101” type learning sessions on our retail, investor relations, go-to-market, digital commerce and customer relationship management (CRM) strategies.
- Town Hall Meetings: We hold bi-weekly Town Hall meetings for our employees across the organization. These meetings offer our employees insights on various aspects of the business, an open forum to discuss questions and cultural moments with our Executive Team and a place for fun! Past themed town halls have included Zoom dance parties, family art, pet and cooking contests, as well as appearances from Alicia Keys.
- e.l.f. Beauty Master Class Series: We regularly host Master Class education events for our employees to lean into cultural moments and provide opportunities for learning and development.Previous events have included:
- Black History Month Leadership Panel with our CFO, Mandy Fields, and e.l.f. Beauty Board members, Richelle Parham and Kenny Mitchell, who shared stories of their career paths and thoughts around allyship for the Black community.
- LatinX Trends, Conversaciónes, and Cocktails with W3LL PEOPLE co-founders James Walker, Renee Snyder and Shirley Pinkson, who shared stories about how being LatinX has shaped who they are today.
- Engaging GenZ with Empathy Over Tech with Jessica Tarlov, Vice President of Insights at Bustle Digital Group (BDG), who offered insights on the GenZ mindset and what drives habits, brand consideration and overall opinions for GenZ consumers.
- Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) Heritage Month Leadership Panel with Tarang Amin, our Chairman and CEO; Shobz Ahluwalia, Chief Information Officer of Peloton; and Wayne Liu, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Perfect Corp, who shared stories of their career paths and thoughts around allyship for the AAPI community.
we are committed to keeping every eye, lip and face safe.
Health & Safety
Our employees’ health, safety and wellbeing are priorities in our operations. e.l.f. Beauty has put in place guidelines and procedures to ensure our employees work safely:
- Our employees are expected to follow our health and safety regulations, as well as relevant local, state, and federal regulations.
- We provide guidance on the correct use of protective gear and equipment for each type of job.
- We ensure our workers are aware of exposure to potentially hazardous materials.
- We emphasize the importance of having enough breaks during the workday.
- We are committed to doing as much as we can to help prevent occupation-related illnesses and improve health and safety in working areas.
our employees say e.l.f. Beauty is a great place to work.
We closely monitor the status or our employees’ well-being, development, and overall satisfaction. We measure our employee satisfaction and identify opportunities for improvement through an annual employee engagement survey.
In April 2021, we conducted a new engagement survey of our employees. All of our global employees were offered an opportunity to participate, of which 77% submitted a response. The responses returned an overall favorable employee engagement score of 88%—17 percentage points above the industry benchmark. Our engagement score tells us whether our employees believe e.l.f. Beauty is a great place to work, if they are motivated, and whether they would recommend e.l.f. Beauty as a great place to work.
The survey was conducted through the Culture Amp platform and consisted of 26 questions – 21 rating questions on which employees were asked to indicate their level of agreement with a statement based on a five-point scale from Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree, three free-text questions to which employees were asked to write out a response, and two demographic questions.
The responses were analyzed against Culture Amp’s Consumer Goods & Services 2020 Benchmark, which includes survey results from a minimum of 20 companies and 20,000 employees at organizations that are direct to consumer and produce and sell various products and services. The responses were also analyzed against Culture Amp’s Bay Area 2020 and China 2020 Benchmarks, which include survey results based off individual response location from a minimum of 50 companies and 10,000 employees.
|e.l.f. Beauty||Consumer Goods & Services 2020 benchmark||Difference|
|Employee engagement as a percentage||88%||71%||+17%|
|Questions that determine employee engagement|
|I would recommend e.l.f. Beauty as a great place to work||94%||82%||+12%|
|e.l.f. Beauty motivates me to go beyond what I would in a similar role elsewhere||91%||69%||+22%|
|I am proud to work for e.l.f. Beauty||95%||88%||+7%|
|I rarely think about looking for a job at another COMPANY||78%||54%||+24%|
|I see myself still working at e.l.f. Beauty in two years’ time||84%||63%||+21%|
Outside of formal surveys, we have an open link for our employees to submit any comments, questions or concerns at any time, which our Executive Team addresses at our bi-weekly, Company-wide Town Hall meetings.
1 Please note that benefits programs, coverage eligibility and costs may vary by country and job position.